Monday, March 4, 2013

                  Dr. Seuss's Birthday

            and Read Across America! 

As many of the fellow teachers know Saturday March 2, it was Dr. Susses birthday and this was also national read across America Day! My students were able to participate in this day on Friday since we were not on school on Saturday!

The first activity that we had was to do the Dr. Seuss read a thon, where each student was required to read one Dr. Seuss book and then drawl a picture summarizing what was just read in the book. The students loved this activity and were very thrilled when we then made paper cat in the cats. I ended the Dr. Seuss party by reading to them on of my favorite books by Dr. Seuss, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.  The students were very surprised when I then gave each of them a pack of goldfish where they were able to have their own fish! 

At the end of the day we discussed read across America day! I was able to explain to th children that everywhere there was at least one student who was reading a book. Since some of my children in the lower learning groups could not read yet I decided to pick out a book and read it to them. The book that I chose to read was Make Way for Ducklings by, Robert McCloskey. The children loved the book and did not want it to end. We had a fun little activity with the book by then requiring them to go home and find another book about a duck and read it with their parents. For their homework this weekend I asked each one of my children to read a book with their parents every night, either have their parents read to them or they read to their parents and then write it down. As an incentive to do this activity for every book each child reads I will give them a gold star. I will be explaining my gold star general in a later post! 

Hope everyone else had a good Dr. Seuss Birthday and were able to pick up a book to read this weekend for Read Across America Day!

  

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment